UVA >> Georgtown? Really? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: UVA >> Georgtown? Really?

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:14 pm

UVA has a high QOL and a low COL. Even if the two schools were equal you still want to live here anyway.

Jumbo

New

Post by Jumbo » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:17 pm

jawsthegreat wrote: The numbers for UVA should be closer to 45% BIGLAW, based upon what I have read.
If you go to the "Discuss your law school" section and read 2009 OCI numbers, it seems that 1/3 are getting biglaw or midlaw at Michigan and Penn. I haven't heard anything about UVA specifically, but I doubt that UVA places significantly better than Mich or Penn.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:17 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
Jumbo wrote:
oneforship wrote:
Jumbo wrote: I'm not sure if the placement advantage of UVA ITE is worth sacrificing 3 years away from your SO.
The economy would typically emphasize the placement advantage, rather than diminish it. Making it even more valuable, especially at a lower cost.
Assume school A and school B are the same size. In a normal economy, school A places 100 more people in biglaw than school B. ITE when there's only half the number of biglaw jobs available, school A will only place ~50 or so more people in biglaw than school B.

Based on what I've read from 2Ls, biglaw placement ITE is roughly 25-30% at GULC and 30-35% at UVA, with non-GPA factors being especially emphasized. Personally I (who's aiming for biglaw), would rather spend 3 years with my SO than take the 5% placement advantage.
The numbers for UVA should be closer to 45% BIGLAW, based upon what I have read.
No. Are you even a student here yet? Aren't you a 0L? It seems like you're just throwing facts around to make yourself feel better about going to UVA next year.

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:18 pm

Last edited by oneforship on Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jumbo

New

Post by Jumbo » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:21 pm

oneforship wrote:
Jumbo wrote: Assume school A and school B are the same size. In a normal economy, school A places 100 more people in biglaw than school B. ITE when there's only half the number of biglaw jobs available, school A will only place ~50 or so more people in biglaw than school B.
But we happen to know schools A and B are not the same size. It's also unreasonable to assume that schools will take a uniform hit in hiring ITE.
The exact same principle exists if the schools are of different sizes. There's just less math required in my hypothetical scenario if the schools were the same size.

The "hit" that GULC and UVA took is "uniform" enough for this comparison. :roll:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:24 pm

I don't like you very much CE2JD. :(

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:27 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:I don't like you very much CE2JD. :(
Dude... I'm just keepin it real. I don't want you to get here with a shitload of false information. I've spoken with some of the Career Services staff and they pegged the number of TOTAL OCI offers around 50%. Of those, maybe 2/3 are biglaw.

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:29 pm

Jumbo wrote:
oneforship wrote:
Jumbo wrote: Assume school A and school B are the same size. In a normal economy, school A places 100 more people in biglaw than school B. ITE when there's only half the number of biglaw jobs available, school A will only place ~50 or so more people in biglaw than school B.
But we happen to know schools A and B are not the same size. It's also unreasonable to assume that schools will take a uniform hit in hiring ITE.
The exact same principle exists if the schools are of different sizes. There's just less math required in my hypothetical scenario if the schools were the same size.

The "hit" that GULC and UVA took is "uniform" enough for this comparison. :roll:
Your math is fine, but it doesn't back up your conclusion. Simply because the school A places only 50 more now instead of 100 previously doesn't mean the gap has closed. In your scenario, the gap is exactly the same, the %s and total #s are just lower.

Jumbo

New

Post by Jumbo » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:32 pm

oneforship wrote: Your math is fine, but it doesn't back up your conclusion. Simply because the school A places only 50 more now instead of 100 previously doesn't mean the gap has closed. In your scenario, the gap is exactly the same, the %s and total #s are just lower.
No, for you the gap has closed because now you're half as likely to land within the gap.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:33 pm

CE2JD wrote:
Dude... I'm just keepin it real. I don't want you to get here with a shitload of false information. I've spoken with some of the Career Services staff and they pegged the number of TOTAL OCI offers around 50%. Of those, maybe 2/3 are biglaw.

Do people get biglaw offers outside of OCI?

and jaws I'll be your friend. Don't let the internet get you down i'll be in uva with you smiling and enjoying life.

Also, CJ it's your life so live it. One possible alternative to the way you corrected our fellow TLSer Jaws is to say something along the lines of, "Actually, I'm a current student and I spoke w/ OCS and they pegged the total number of OCI offers at 50%. Maybe 2/3 are biglaw." In my scenario I left out any direct insults and cold pricklies just stuck with the facts and conveyed the same thoughts in a much more friendly way. Again, its your life so do what you do just thought I'd point out that there is in fact an alternate way of interacting with people
Last edited by Doritos on Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:34 pm

Last edited by oneforship on Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jumbo

New

Post by Jumbo » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:34 pm

Doritos wrote: Do people get biglaw offers outside of OCI?
Only if you do something special outside of biglaw first. You're not going to work in smalllaw for a year after graduation then land biglaw.

Jumbo

New

Post by Jumbo » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:37 pm

oneforship wrote:
Jumbo wrote:
oneforship wrote: Your math is fine, but it doesn't back up your conclusion. Simply because the school A places only 50 more now instead of 100 previously doesn't mean the gap has closed. In your scenario, the gap is exactly the same, the %s and total #s are just lower.
No, for you the gap has closed because now you're half as likely to land within the gap.
But you still have twice the chance of landing a biglaw job at school A, because it is placing 2x as many students in biglaw.
I don't think you're getting it.

If you're half as likely to land in the gap ITE, then the gap for you has shrunk ITE.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:37 pm

Doritos wrote:
CE2JD wrote:

Yes. Contrary to Internet-perpetuated misconception, LOTS of people get jobs by contacting firms outside of the OCI process.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:39 pm

Jumbo wrote:
Doritos wrote: Do people get biglaw offers outside of OCI?
Only if you do something special outside of biglaw first. You're not going to work in smalllaw for a year after graduation then land biglaw.

I don't mean years down the road I meant like applying for firms outside of OCI. I don't know if people do that or not. I imagine if you went to Tier 4 School of Law and was #1 in your class and wanted to take a shot at biglaw they probably arent coming to your school so you have to apply outside of OCI. I don't know though...

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:39 pm

Doritos wrote:Also, CJ it's your life so live it. One possible alternative to the way you corrected our fellow TLSer Jaws is to say something along the lines of, "Actually, I'm a current student and I spoke w/ OCS and they pegged the total number of OCI offers at 50%. Maybe 2/3 are biglaw." In my scenario I left out any direct insults and cold pricklies just stuck with the facts and conveyed the same thoughts in a much more friendly way. Again, its your life so do what you do just thought I'd point out that there is in fact an alternate way of interacting with people
:lol:

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:40 pm

Last edited by oneforship on Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

uvalaw2013

New

Post by uvalaw2013 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:47 pm

CE2JD wrote:
Doritos wrote:Also, CJ it's your life so live it. One possible alternative to the way you corrected our fellow TLSer Jaws is to say something along the lines of, "Actually, I'm a current student and I spoke w/ OCS and they pegged the total number of OCI offers at 50%. Maybe 2/3 are biglaw." In my scenario I left out any direct insults and cold pricklies just stuck with the facts and conveyed the same thoughts in a much more friendly way. Again, its your life so do what you do just thought I'd point out that there is in fact an alternate way of interacting with people
When is the career center going to actually update their website with info on what happened to the 2009 grads. When are some t14 sites just updated their career center info? Hahaha, I guess when things get better...

That number is scary, and I'm going to UVA next year. It sort of kicks me to the stomach scary.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:48 pm

I understand that the UVA ~50% number floating around (which CE semi-confirmed) is total OCI offers, not biglaw. But isn't the GULC ~33% number floating around total OCI offers as well?

uvalaw2013

New

Post by uvalaw2013 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:49 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:I understand that the UVA ~50% number floating around (which CE semi-confirmed) is total OCI offers, not biglaw. But isn't the GULC ~33% number floating around total OCI offers as well?
I thought GULC 33% was just biglaw...

Jumbo

New

Post by Jumbo » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:52 pm

Doritos wrote: I don't mean years down the road I meant like applying for firms outside of OCI. I don't know if people do that or not. I imagine if you went to Tier 4 School of Law and was #1 in your class and wanted to take a shot at biglaw they probably arent coming to your school so you have to apply outside of OCI. I don't know though...
Oh yes it's certainly possible. People at top schools do it all the time if they don't want NYC or local markets.
I understand that the UVA ~50% number floating around (which CE semi-confirmed) is total OCI offers, not biglaw. But isn't the GULC ~33% number floating around total OCI offers as well?
I have a friend who's a 1L at GULC right now. He estimated 1/3 biglaw, but I don't think he did a lot of research.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:53 pm

CE2JD wrote:
CE wouldn't be CE if he adopted the alternative you propose. And some of us would miss him.

And just so this post isn't entirely off topic - OP, run to UVA absent serious money from GULC.

uvalaw2013

New

Post by uvalaw2013 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:54 pm

CE2JD wrote:
Doritos wrote:
CE2JD wrote:

Yes. Contrary to Internet-perpetuated misconception, LOTS of people get jobs by contacting firms outside of the OCI process.
hahaha, doritos, I'm with you too. But I think that's CE2JD's posting style.

uvalaw2013

New

Post by uvalaw2013 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:56 pm

Jumbo wrote:
Doritos wrote: I don't mean years down the road I meant like applying for firms outside of OCI. I don't know if people do that or not. I imagine if you went to Tier 4 School of Law and was #1 in your class and wanted to take a shot at biglaw they probably arent coming to your school so you have to apply outside of OCI. I don't know though...
Oh yes it's certainly possible. People at top schools do it all the time if they don't want NYC or local markets.
I have a friend who's a 1L at GULC right now. He estimated 1/3 biglaw, but I don't think he did a lot of research.
anyone with anymore info to confirm?

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:59 pm

My talk with Career Services was back in November, so I wouldn't be surprised if the eventual total of biglaw offers is slightly higher than 33%. Offers seemed to trickle in very late this year.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”